Saturday, December 6, 2008

The holiday blur and sleepless nights

It is that time of the year again and we are in the midst of holiday frenzy. Christmas gifts are 90% bought. The house is 20% decorated. My cookies are 50% baked. I plan to make 12 different varieties - 1 for each of the 12 days of Christmas. I started out saying 25 varieties for each day in the month of December, but as Scott pointed out... that is a LOT of cookies. As every year, I am feeling a little overextended and have a hard time deciding what things are a priority. Imagine that!


Tuesday night, Cecilia was very cranky and for the first time ever, did not sleep through the night and would wake with a blood curdling scream. Her mood was "off" on Wednesday, with an encore sleep session Wednesday night. (I know the other Guate moms will be real sympathetic... right Debbie???) Thursday arrived and we decided to go to the doctor as something was surely wrong. The results??? No temp, no throat, ear or nose irritation... NOTHING! Doc said that he doubted that it was teething either. So in typical Guate adoptive mom fashion, I turn to the listservs. I worried that it was a delayed seperation anxiety symptom and needed some guidence. Watch what you wish for - I got some replies and my favorite was from a mom whose son went though through the same exact thing. Out the clear blue at 16 months he would wake screaming and she found that the only thing that worked was to put him in bed with her. Well he is 6 years old now and STILL sleeping with her. Good grief is this our destiny??? Anyway, last night was the farm Christmas party. Cecilia was clingy the entire evening and fell asleep @ 9pm admist the loud Mexican music and dancing. She awoke at 7:30am today and is back to her old self. Phfew!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Yes, I absolutely understand. Glad to hear Cecilia is getting back on her normal schedule so quickly.

Kim said...

Glad to hear Cecilia is back to "normal". She sure is cute!