Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Oaxaca... off the beaten path, Part Two

There is so much to say about the trip that it will take me forever to recap. As I reflected on he series of events, I realized that we had a richer experience that the average tourist. I will try to capture them for you.

Day Four
We, being only the 3rd white people EVER to visit Huamuchil, were quite the novelty there. Humberto told a friend that I spoke Zapoteco and he rushed right over to speak to me. The joke was on him. I only know how to say, "My mom" (Shuh-mum) "My dad" (Shuh-tet)"Playing with your testicles" (Kah-gee-tah-veh-she-tah-veh) and "Your butt stinks and you have a tight ass" (Nahm-boh-key-wheel y Nahn-joy). FYI... I am not proud of the last two.

We began the day with pan dulce (sweet rolls) and coffee (instant Nescafe) and gathered up our things to prepare for a day afloat. We loaded up a taxi with coolers and food and beer and all climbed into the front and back of a pickup. I rode the back as it has always been a fancy of mine. In Mexico and Guatemala, people often travel, packed like sardines, in the back of a pickup. 14 of us climbed aboard the fiberglass fishing boat and away we went. It was a 1 hour trip each way. Stop one... A deserted beach where we ate lunch (bologna on white bread and mayo, hotdogs uncooked and solo and lots of bags of snack chips. Keep in mind that EVERY snack food has chile in it. If it is doesnt say "chile" there is a trace amount. If it says, "chile" watch out. Regular cheese Cheetos are spicy. I have a slight addiction to them now. Another yum is their Fanta Naranja (Orange Fanta) which is waaaaay better than Fanta here. I think they use sugar instead of corn syrup.

1 comment:

nora said...

I love your update. And I am so tired of people saying "Mexico is so dangerouns, we couldn't go to Cancun, because..." That's nuts people!

Cecilia is grwoing so fast! My goodness - I wonder if your C. and my C. would hit it off - it always appears to me that they would!