Ethel Wolfe 03-31-95 ~ 05-22-09
Yesterday was a very bad day. I was backing out of the driveway and hit our dog, Ethel. The accident resulted in breaking a series of ribs and puncturing her lung. Due to her age and being realistic about recovering from such an injury, we made the decision to put her to sleep. It was incredibly sad! I went over to the vet office to be with her. It was an ironic moment as I reflected on the first day I had her... we went to the same vet for a physical. Here we were 14 years later for a less than exciting visit. He was so kind and saw right through my "business as usual" facade. As I left the office, he reminded me that I did not have to be "so high functioning."
For those who dont know, Ethel was named after my grandmother who loved dogs more than anything else. She deemed each dog that we ever had as, "The Best Dog that Ever Lived." Grandmother used to get up every morning and fry two eggs. One for her and one for the dog. They would then go out on the porch and eat them together. Ethel was in a way a tribute to my grandmother. In her final days, I visited my grandmother and announced that I named my dog after her. She was very pleased. So... if there is a dog heaven... Ethel and Grandmother are eating a fried egg right now. Bon Appetit!
5 comments:
I'm so, so, so sorry to hear about Ethel.
Em-I am so, so sorry about your beloved dog. I have lost a few dogs in my lifetime and it is never easy - we all know that as we grow so attached to them. just don't wind up on the news like the lady that put up a sign that said if you hurt my cat, i will hurt your kids (she said it a little more empatically). sending a big hug over your way.
So sorry Emily. So so sorry.
What a brillant tribute to your grandmother and a nice thought - fried eggs and heaven.
And your vet is right - you don't have to be so on top of it. Take care of yourself.
I am so sorry about Ethel. Sending you big hugs.
I am very sorry to hear about Ethel. I think that she and your Grandma are sitting on a couch enjoying the sunshine!
Post a Comment