Monday, May 19, 2008

Paying birthmothers???

Things have somewhat settled down this week. Last week, the news got worse by the day. Mid week, the "word" was that PGN, in their attempt to coherse birthmothers into reclaiming their children, were offering money. The Guatadopt report was that one interviewer told a birth mother they would pay her $70 US, per month, until her child was 18. We would laugh at an offer like this but to the average person in Guatemala this is a great deal. Even if this is the case, they have no means to actually follow through with it.

Today the report is that it was a few isolated cases and who knows in what context it was discussed. Our agency had heard nothing of this nor had gotten word of when Cecilia's birth mother is scheduled to appear. I guess we need to wait and see. At any rate, I am seriously considering a trip again. I check the flights every day. This morning there was a flight from State College to Guatemala for $401... a great deal, but by 4pm the rate had gone back up to $458. Still not bad. That's all for now!

2 comments:

Kim said...

We're still waiting on our interview to be scheduled as well. Our agency doesn't confirm any of the birthmom's being paid either.

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you and all the other waiting parents. I can not believe this is happening! I dont blame you, I would be planning a trip too. Stay strong!!!