Thursday, July 15, 2010

Beauty and Kindness

I saw a beautiful thing yesterday. I will sitting inside the St. Louis Arch next to a woman there with her children. Her son, Zack, had Down's and was sitting on the floor eating a cookie. I always think about what it is like to parent a child who has differences. The heartbreak when they are rejected by other children, the stares and whispers, the disregard. There was a group of Amish girls touring the arch. One of them stood and watched Zack for a moment. She then came over, sat down on the floor with him and started a conversation. Did he go up in the arch? Was it cool? She liked cookies, too. It made my heart smile seeing this and how his mother's must have, too.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

How sweet!!!! That's a little girl who has been taught to accept everyone.