We had everything mentioned on yesterdays post. Cecilia still cant get enough of black beans and ate 2 bowls which kept her up until 2am.
Doña Eva says that you shouldn't eat beans later in the day. In Guatemala, we noticed that black beans were always on the breakfast spread. I guess there is a reason. Many people assume that Guatemalan food is just like Mexican. Although there are many of the same
ingredients, Guatemalan food lacks the heat. Also, a lot less cilantro than you would find in Mexican cuisine. I have never been able to make real rice but last nights was
DELISH. I thought I would share the recipe. Kim... maybe you wanna give it a whirl.
Arroz Guatemalteco with Emily's adaptation
- 1 cup rice
- 1 T. corn oil (I used canola)
- 1 T fine chopped onion
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 2 T grated carrot
- 1 T fine chopped sweet pepper (I did not have this)
- 1 T chopped tomato
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups water or chicken broth (I used chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Brown the rice in the oil until it is a nice tan color. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and pepper and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato, salt and liquid. Cover pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Somewhere near the end, add the frozen peas. You want them cooked but not mushy. Give it a nice stir while you are at it. Recover.
- Allow rice to remain covered for 10 minutes before serving.
BTW... Goya makes a mean frozen
Platanos Fritos. It tasted just like it did in Guatemala!
2 comments:
We actually questioned Lili's foster mom about the difference between food in Guatemala and Mexico. She told us that while there were many similarities, spices are added to the foods in Mexico. In Guatemala spices are put on the side and people add the amount of spice they desire.
ditto - i always have black beans on hand -either the dehydrated ones or canned since beans and eggs are a staple out our house. mmmm plantains!
Post a Comment