Horton Hears a Who! by Dr. Seuss

Cecilia has been obsessed with the movie for a while now. (Jim Carey and Steve Carrel version) Recently she discovered that we have the book, too. She likes to read it herself. Here is the transcript from her last read-aloud...
Cecilia: Hort'n (pause) a whooo! (pause) Hort'n (pause) a whooo. (pause) A who. (pause) A who! (pause) Hort'n (pause) a whooo! (pause) Hort'n (pause) a whooo. (pause) A who. (pause) A who! (pause). And now book #2...
Cows Going Past by Bruce Balan.

My sweeeeeeet friend, Sheree, gifted a new book to Ceci. THANKS Sheree! She loves it, I love it, but some dumb a$$ from School Library Journal doesn't.
Get a load of this (and I quote) The simple, sometimes-rhyming text has some playful moments, but it is mostly a mishmash of bovines engaged in strange and inexplicable endeavors. (OK - this might explain why I like it so much :-) While Nash's fun illustrations in a retro color scheme give this title a lift, the tale is still ultimately forgettable. For a quirky cow read-aloud, stick with Doreen Cronin's Click Clack Moo (S & S, 2000).– Rachel G. Payne, Brooklyn Public Library, NY
Everyone who knows me well, knows that I am a children's literature expert (right Lori and Gail?) I beg to differ, Ms. Payne! This is an excellent book!
3 comments:
I thought any children's book that captured the attention of little readers was excellent literature. Lili loves books. She loves learning. They go hand-in-hand and no one should complain about that in any way, shape or form.
And I haven't heard from you in awhile. How are you?
Debbie, You might be right about capturing attention but Emily is a Children's Literature snob.....before Cecelia she said she would only allow "Quality" Children's literature to touch her childs hands.........I think now she might let her read Archie comic books on the sly. : )
i love that excitement and pure joy when they realize something in real life that is like the book - like pumpkins. Then the shreak in excitement that they have made the connection. Glad your little reader is doing well ;)
Post a Comment