Monday, June 30, 2008

We are OUT, OUT, OUT!!!

I literally just found out that our case is out of PGN. For those of you who have no idea what that means - it means that our case has been released and Cecilia Paola is coming HOME. Now before you start bugging me about when she will be here, this is what must happen first...
  1. Our lawyer will travel to Mazatenango which is about 3 hours away and Cecilia's birthplace. She will meet with Cecilia's birthmother for a final sign off on her parental rights.
  2. An adoption decree will be drafted making Scott and I her official parents.
  3. A new birth certificate will be issued in her new name. This could present the biggest challenge and time as there is a new system for birth certificates called RENAP. Historically birth certificates from Mazatenango took 1-2 days. If they have not registered with RENAP we are in luck. If they have, it could take up to 1 month to get.
  4. With the new birth certificate, our lawyer will apply for her Guatemalan passport.
  5. The US Embassy will issue what is called an orange slip which is a DNA request. They want to ensure that it matches the DNA sample taken in October and that she wasn't switched. Trust me... she is the same baby!
  6. The 2nd DNA will taken and sent to North Carolina for analysis. The results take about 2 weeks and then are sent back to the US Embassy in Guatemala.
  7. Our lawyer applies for an orphan visa.
  8. Once the embassy authorizes the visa we recieve what is called a pink slip.
  9. Cecilia will need an exit physical by an "approved" doctor.
  10. The US Embassy will set up an interview date and Scott and I will travel to Guatemala.
  11. The day after the interview, we pick up her visa and come home.

Our agency says we will likely pick her up at the end of next month. I am VERY skeptical and am speculating that it will be mid-late August. Nothing goes as planned when it comes to Guatemala adoption.

6 comments:

The Heinrichs said...

YEAH!!! This is GREAT!!! I want to celebrate with you....try and visit us in Antigua on your pick up!!!

Deanna

Anonymous said...

OMG! OMG! I am so happy for you Emily!!!!!!! What incredible news!!! Thank God! It is as good as over. Now just a little more waiting. Congratulations Mommy and Daddy on your new Daughter.

nora said...

Yea yea yea! Cecilia is coming home! Congrats you guys! I know the next few weeks are the hardest for waiting, but you are so close! take care!

Debbie said...

OMG! I just checked your blog yesterday, but that was before the update. I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! CECILIA IS COMING HOME!!!!!

I hope you don't have a long wait between now and pick up and will keep stalking for updates.

Kim said...

Congratulations on your OUT!!!! SO exciting!!!

Josie said...

We had a great time seeing you guys this weekend. Nolan says that he can't wait to play with Cecilia. He thinks that the two of them will really be able to cause some trouble at Grammy's this Christmas!

-Josie and Grant