Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lift off less than 24 hours

We leave tomorrow @ 6am and arrive in Guatemala City @ 4:40. I am all packed and ready!

Crazy story but oh so Guatemalan...

Tello came over last night to cut Scott's hair and call our taxi driver in Guatemala for an airport pick-up. I find it hard to speak Spanish on the phone and effectively communicate. Well apparently Tello did, too. He was on the phone for over 30 minutes with our taxi driver friend Damian. For those of you that remember the stolen passport fiasco - Damian was the guardian angel taxi driver that took care of us. For a good 15 of those 30 minutes, Tello was discussing whether or not Damian could pick us up at the airport. Damian asked where Tello was calling from. Tello: The United States. Damian: Where??? Tello: The United States of America. Damian: I don't know where that is. Tello: The United States??? Damian: No. Tello: The United States of America??? The U.S.A.??? Damian: Ahhh, yes! The United States of America. After committing to picking us up, we moved on to other equally painful discussions. Could he take us to Chichicastengo? How many and how old are his children? (I wanted to take them gifts... turns out they are 36 and 39). We wrapped up with Damian asking Tello where he was calling from. YIKES!!! I thought I was going to have a stroke.

By the way - Scott's hair looks great. Tello has become the official workplace barber. The other day he was cutting Hawkeye's hair outside the milking parlor over lunch. We were having a meeting with the Pfizer rep and a vet that day. Scott worried about the farm's image with this kind of craziness. Here is a picture.


3 comments:

Debbie said...

Have a wonderful trip!!!!!!

Can't wait to see new pictures and here all about it.

nora said...

Can't wait to hear wonderful news about giving Cecilia hugs and kisses!

Telissa said...

sorry, i did not catch you before you left, but have a good trip!!!! hope you have lots of fun and will share tons of pics upon your return!! thinking of you guys!! wish i was there, too!